WE'RE LOOKING FOR NEW BOARD MEMBERS
The Board of Directors is the legal authority for the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust (ORMLT) as provided in its constitutional letters and operating by-laws. As a member of the Board, each Director serves in a position of confidence for the organization and is responsible for the effective governance and corporate health of the Trust.
- Related experience with non-profit Boards, committees, associations or other community groups as a member, donor, volunteer, or staff.
- Transferable skills in one or more areas of Board governance such as finance, policy development, planning, program administration, fund-raising, marketing, communications, public relations, promotion, land securement, stewardship, moraine ecology, stakeholder relations, volunteer co-ordination, etc.
- Personal attributes of benefit to the Trust e.g. active contributor, team player, personal network, geographic location, problem solver, creative thinker, etc.
- Time and energy to contribute as a member and volunteer worker on committees, task groups, fundraising, special events and other Trust activities.
- Personal commitment to the vision, land securement mission, program action strategy and ongoing work of the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust.
- Knowledge or interest in the Oak Ridges Moraine ecosystem and the importance of its protection and conservation for long-term public benefit.
TERM of OFFICE:
Directors are elected by the membership at the annual general meeting. Directors will usually serve for a two-year term and may be re-elected for additional terms of office.
Rotating appointments allow for continuity in programs, renewal of active membership, succession of talent and new participation in the Trust.
Directors will be provided with orientation, training and information in support of their responsibilities and will be supported by staff and other members in carrying out Trust activities.
Directors will be given an opportunity to work in their area of talent or interest, and are encouraged to learn new skills as may be available.
RESPONSIBILITIES and EXPECTATIONS:
As part of the governing Board of Directors, each member has responsibilities for contributing to planning, decision making and implementation of Trust policies, programs, projects and processes and each member is expected to invest time and effort in the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust as follows:
- Govern the Trust in accordance with the broad policies approved by the Board
- Understand the Board’s legal and financial obligations and question matters if necessary to ensure these commitments are met.
- Serve on committees and working groups, attend meetings and seminars and represent the interests of the Trust and Moraine to others.
- Foster a positive working relationship with other Board members, volunteers, partners, staff, governments and the general public.
- Bring your own training, skills, ideas and experience to the deliberations and decisions of the Trust for mutual benefit of all parties and prepare for meetings.
- Provide candid and constructive criticism, if and when required.
- Actively support the corporate Trust’s decisions including respect for the democratic process and commitment to all majority decisions.
- Represent only the official interests of the Trust as a member of the corporate governing body, not individual or personal interests.
- Review the Canadian Land Trust Standards and Practices document as a guideline for the organization’s operations and commit to making continual progress toward implementation of these standards and practices.
- Maintain confidentiality as may be required and avoid any conflict of interest, workplace harassment or other unethical behavior.
- Mentor or assist with the orientation of new board members.
- Ensure accountability to donors and partners that funds expended and services provided are consistent with approvals.
- Approve major actions of the Trust, such as capital expenditures on all projects over authorized limits and major changes in programs and services.
- Monitor and evaluate all Trust programs and policies through regular review to ensure effectiveness, efficiency and value for money.
- Approve multi year forecasts, budgets and annual work plans for expenditures, revenue, fundraising goals and securement targets.
- Recommend policies, procedures, plans, programs and projects to staff, Committees, Executive and Board for approval and set priorities to achieve the vision.
- Actively support the Trust’s fundraising strategies, marketing plans, community relations/events, outreach programs and annual promotional campaigns.
- Understand the vision, mission, and long and short term goals of the Trust
- Champion the work of the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust.
- Serve as an ambassador for the Trust through personal donations, membership, volunteerism, partnership and community networking and avoid situations that could create a negative impact for the Trust.
- Assist the Board and staff by attending meetings and seminars as a delegate or make speeches and presentations on behalf of the Trust.
- Make a basic commitment of 5 to 10 hours per month including attendance at Trust meetings and time contributed as a volunteer.
Please send cover letter and resume to landtrust @ oakridgesmoraine.org (without spaces) Thank you.